Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Words I Learned Today

glib - because Tom Cruise said it. He called MattLauer "glib" in an interview on the "Today" show recently. i didn't see it, but i read about it in the paper.

i wondered, what's "glib" ?

actually, i thought, isn't it supposed to be "your being glib"? or "your acting glib"?
but tom said to matt, "you're glib."

so i looked up the meaning. i am still not sure about the usage.

(from dictionary.com)
glib adj. glibĀ·ber, glibĀ·best
1. a. Performed with a natural, offhand ease: glib conversation.
b. Showing little thought, preparation, or concern: a glib response to a complex question.
2. Marked by ease and fluency of speech or writing that often suggests or stems from insincerity, superficiality, or deceitfulness.

so, i understand what it means, now. it's a good word. and i guess tom used it right. let's see, if we sub the meaning, it'd be like he said, "matt, you're 'showing little thought' here, man." i don't now why, but it seemed more complete adding the "here, man."

that sub seems to work fine, so looks like tom did use it correctly in saying, "you're glib." man.

i wonder how may hits "glib" got on the internet this week, or on dictionary.com. i wonder if they count. that'd be cool if they count how many hits a certain phrase gets in the dictionary or in google, etc, when a news issue hits that brings the phrase into popular circulation that week. that'd be cool. just to see.

"glibber" is fun to say. can't help but get a little smile after saying it. even if you mumble it quietly at your desk. that probably actually works best. don't know what that means or when to use it, though, so as for "glibber", i'll just have to mumble it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joseph said...

I must first start with "glibber". I laughed immediately upon reading the word. And then I laughed harder when I thought about how funny "glibber" would sound in that character voice you do (I don't remember her name...Martha, maybe? The one with the cold).

Ok, as for glib, it's an adjective. So I guess saying "You're glib" works like saying, "You're red," or "You're smart," works, but I still thinking glib is better used to describe the context of one's speech rather than someone himself.

It's a word I learned a little while back, but haven't worked it into my active vocabulary yet.

2:32 PM, July 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:D i think webster should add glibber. sounds nice. kinda rolls off the tongue & yes, it made me smile but only after a good chuckle! thanks for that!

5:49 PM, July 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home